Welcome To RIVER SHARKS
River Sharks is your go to source for baseball related information.
We strive to provide the most in-depth reviews and guides on gloves, bats, balls, pants drills, and so much more.
You’re getting real reviews and expert guides straight from the pros.
River Sharks strive to make your game better!
River Sharks was created by Adam Smith. Back in his younger days he used to play Youth League before moving onto Collage Baseball. These days he is happy coaching this twin boys Youth team while also having to occasional get together game with the boys.
One of my favourite quotes is "fail to prepare and you prepare to fail" - and nothing is more true when it comes to baseball. If you want to win games, then you need to train and practise.
Ok, sounds easy! But what exactly are you meant to do? Well it can be broken down into 2 key categories: Drills and Information.
Drills - Before we get into some of the most common drills, it's important to remember that baseball drills can become boring FAST. Especially for younger players. You should always try and make them as fun as possible - one of the best ways I've found is to turn them into competitions. Not only with that make them more fun, but the team tends to work harder.
To play a better game, then you need to practise! This could be ground ball drills, agility drills, first base drills, outfield drills, shortstop drills, or tee ball hitting drills. Each one of these should be practised over and over to ensure that when the big game day arrives, you already know instinctively how you're going to play.
When it comes to drills, you should start them as young as possible. There are plenty of baseball drills for 10 year olds and then by the time they get to high school you can move them over to high school baseball fielding drills.
Information - There's no such thing as knowing too much about baseball. For example, do you know how many stitches on a baseball? Ok that's an extreme example, but there are also the basics to cover too such as when season softball commences, which team bats first, how many balls are used in a baseball game, and even how to start a travel baseball team.
There are also more practical questions that your team may ask, especially if they are young. Questions like:
- How can I get better at softball?
- How can I increase my pitching velocity by 10mph?
- How to flare a baseball glove?
- How to pitch slow pitch softball?
- What are the Best Baseball Gloves for Each Position?
- What are the Best Outfield Gloves for Baseball?
Parents may even ask questions:
- Can my child wear soccer cleats for baseball?
- Are there any exercises we can do to help increase their ball exit velocity?
- What size baseball glove should my 9 year old wear?
- What are the Best Baseball glove for small hands?
- Is there a Best Oil for a Baseball Gloves?
- How Long Is a Baseball Game
- What Is MVR In Baseball
Even if you are able to answer all of those, there are still a few other things you should know. For example, whats the difference between a 4 seam vs 2 seam fastball? Do you know why mlb players use wooden bats?
How about this one to impress the guys at the bar - which is better - gamechanger vs iscore?
You could also be asked any of the following.. "coach, what are the best....":
- Best baseball training aids swing trainers
- Best youth baseball gloves
- Best baseball turf shoes
- Best catchers gear
- Best pitching machine
- Best baseball sunglasses
- Best baseball scorebook
- Best batting tees
- Best youth baseball cleats
- Best softball gloves
- Best baseball cleats
- Best wood bats
- Best baseball swing analyzer
- Best batting gloves
- Best softball bats
- Best softball cleats
- Best fungo bats
So you have the training, practise and drills down! Which is AWESOME! But all that could be undone if you don't have the correct equipment.
Now there are literally a ton of different things you could buy to help improve your game, but really there are 2 main pieces of equipment that will make a major difference - Bats and Gloves.
Bats - Sounds simple, but if you want to play baseball, then you are going to need a bat. Doesn't really matter if you're practising for the Youth League, a parent looking for a softball bat for their 8 year old, or you're at collage and need the best collage baseball bat.
There are a ton of bat's on the market and it can be quite difficult deciding which one in exactly right for you. I mean do you go for the Easton Elevate, Marucci CAT 8, Marucci F5, Demarini Uprising, or the Louisville Slugger Solo 619?
If you're coaching a youth team, then parents are naturally going to ask you questions about bats. Things like:
- What's the best baseball bat for my 6 year old?
- What's the best baseball bat for my 7 years old?
- What's the best high school baseball bat?
- Whats the Best baseball glove for infield and outfield?
Don't worry though! We have you covered. You'll find the answer to all of these questions and more on River Sharks.
Gloves - Not all baseball gloves are created equally! In fact, almost every position will require something slightly different. When playing at an amateur level, this isn't quite as important, but as you progress your need for better quality gloves will increase.
When it comes to finding the right gloves, it can be a bit of a crazy time. If you're a pitcher for example, then you need to ask yourself what are the best baseball gloves for pitchers? You also have more in-depth things to consider such as heart of the hide vs pro preferred? Which one is the best?
If you are coaching then parents are going to ask you questions - so you better sharpen up your glove knowledge:
- What's the best baseball glove for my 4/5 year old?
- What's the best baseball glove for my 6/7/8 year old?
- What's the best baseball glove for my 10 year old?
- What's the best baseball glove for my 11 year old?
- What's the best baseball glove for my 9 year old?
- What are the Best Baseball Rebounders?
- What are the Best Baseball Pitching Machine?
- What are the Best Youth Baseball Cleats for Wide Feet?
- What are the Best Baseball Batting Helmets with Faceguards?
- What are the Best Baseball Training Equipment?
- What are the Best Baseball Bags?
Again, no need to panic! River Shark has your back! We have answered all these questions and more. Simply follow the links above to visit each in-depth guide.
Oh and before we forget, we have just added a guide around the best baseball sliding shorts and best baseball pants.